Advice Blog Science Vocal Health

Do You Have a Voice Doctor?

Last week, I posted an article talking about the importance of having your vocal folds checked out – BUT – I didn’t actually post anything about how to find a doctor!

What kind of doctor? 

  • ENT – Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist / Laryngologist / Otolaryngologist

Why such long names? 

  • Otorhinolaryngology: The combined specialties of diseases of the ear, nose, pharynx, and larynx; including diseases of the head and neck, tracheobronchial tree, and esophagus.
    • Otolaryngology: The study of diseases of the ears and throat

If you want to get a good look at the vocal folds go to a ENT and get scoped (have the vocal folds checked either through the nose or mouth with a small camera).

Personal Recommendation 

These are some groups (obviously not all of them) that I know personal work with professional voice users.

Philadelphia Area

New York Area

Entire Voice Clinic team at the NYU Langone Health

Of course, check your insurance and see who is covered. Find an ENT – is a good start.

Happy scoping!